Saturday, February 11, 2012

Reasons.

I woke up today.

Feeling every bit like I've been run over by a truck that lost its brakes, another day begins for me.

The pain I wake up to daily is something like a second skin, it is just - there.

Today is no different.

A reason to get up and out of bed is Logan staring up at me expectantly, waiting for me to fix his breakfast.

Must get moving.

I shuffle to the kitchen counter and fix a dish of dog food which is softened with water. I let it sit for a while. I make my coffee and brush my teeth while waiting for the coffeemaker to get done with my drink.

Another reason to keep moving is Logan wanting to play fetch.

He drops his ball at my feet and sits patiently while I slowly bend down to pick up the toy. *Throw*

He scurries off after the prize and runs back to me with the ball in his mouth.
*drops ball at my feet again*

I manage to toss the ball midway through the room where Logan zooms off after it.

I walk back to bed and slowly lie down again. I feel like death warmed over.

Logan jumps up on the bed, bounces off my legs and makes straight for my face.

A good reason to pull a pillow over my face to cover it.

Logan dives under the pillow to try to get a good nip at my ear.

A reason to roll to my side and snuggle deeper under the pillow.

I feel every movement like a scream and all the while I have a puppy waiting for me to give it a hug. I pick him up and cuddle the furry bundle of energy.

You don't notice pain as much when you have a little dog in your arms.

A quick time-check tells me the coffee should be done and Logan's breakfast should be ready as well.

I get up from bed as tediously as the first time and switch on the computer on my way back to the kitchen counter.

A reason to get up early is I don't need to rush too much before I begin work.

A reason to keep going is my coffee is ready and Logan's breakfast must be served.

I sit down at the computer, typing slowly and log in to begin my day's work.

A reason to work - buy more doughnuts, coffee and dog food.

I feel Logan lay down by my feet and drift off to sleep. I watch him settle into slumber like only a puppy can.

The pain I feel in every muscle where even my skin hurts is still there, but I've got a reason to get up today aside from work - there's a puppy named Logan expecting me to play when he wakes up from his nap.

For today, that is enough.

2 comments: